Friday, October 31, 2008

Thandie



The first time I saw Thandie Newton onscreen was in Beloved. And to tell you the truth, she didn't do much for me. There was something serprentine about her features that bothered me.

But that was ten years ago, before I ran the Chronicles of Riddick into the ground, before I saw her turns in Crash, The Pursuit of Happyness and a little known movie called Shade. Just the other day I caught her in The Young Americans, a British crime film that dropped in the early 90s. She's not my typical type as she's so slender (almost to the point of frailty). But there are very few actresses who do femme fatale better than her. And as I watched her in Guy Ritchie's Rocknrolla, a film that brings the writer/director back to form depsite all of his current drama in the press for breaking up with the infamous Madge.

I remember reading an article on Thandie a few years back, not long after Rob J and I rolled past her on the streets of LA when she was glowingly pregnant with her daughter Ripley (who she named after the led character in the Alien movies. If Bonet is my hippie girl, then Thandie is my dominatrix, cool and manipulative as she becomes drunk with the knowledge that she has you where she wants you. But if she wants you it means that you're something definitely worth having. It's that Scorpio thing that I know so well, all-consuming in its magnetism.

Perhaps one day I'll get five minutes with her on the shores of La-La land. Maybe I'll get her for a part in one of my films. Any assassin sent to clip me on the sneak will be a Black woman with a British and eyes more seductive than toes against a crotch beneath a table for two. Until then there's always the movies. I heard she kill it in W. That's up next. But first I got my notebook and some pens. I have to keep telling my next story, which Thandie might actually be perfect for. Out.

No comments: